Friday, November 9, 2012

I Hate Waiting

Today we have a guest post on the blog.  Dave Wood, International Director, at Lifeline Children's Services is a friend of mine and he has graciously allowed me to post one of his poetry pieces on the blog.  Dave has over 25 years of professional experience working with families and children. In addition to Lifeline, Dave has served in most every pastoral position along with serving as Director of Precious Child, a crisis pregnancy center. Dave’s passion is finding incredible families for orphaned children through the avenue of International adoption. Dave is married to Johnna and they are the proud parents of three children.

I have learned so much from Dave about leadership, encouragement, and what families need as they walk through the adoption process.  I'm grateful for his friendship and I think he has nicely expressed what many of us think and feel during the adoption process.

Thanks Dave!


I HATE WAITING

Ok, I'm just going to say this, be confessional and admit;
That I hate waiting, it makes me want to throw a hissy fit.

I know that doesn't sound spiritual, but it surely is the truth;
Standing around, hands in my pockets, is totally uncouth.

Dependent on someone else... ugh, the intolerableness of it all;
Makes me want to scream, when progress comes to a crawl.

It was fine when I was a baby, and didn't know any better;
If I sat there all day, in a diaper getting wetter and wetter.

Maybe this is why, we don't remember those early days;
To keep us from blowing a gasket, and coming off as crazed.

Is anyone with me here, or am I in this struggle all alone;
That I hate waiting, in every single form that can be known.

The grocery store for instance, there's a conspiracy against me;
It's true whatever line I pick, I'll get the new and slow trainee.

So if you ever see me in a store, please pick the other line;
You'll be out of there so fast, back home, relaxed in no time.

I wish that I were done, but there's something more to be said;
I hope this won't offend, and it's submitted with some dread.

In those times I have to wait, the very last thing I want to hear;
Is a spiritual pep talk on patience, lets make that crystal clear.

I know patience is a virtue, God is working things for my good;
He loves me in my circumstance, even when I've misunderstood.

Telling myself these things, while standing in another line that lags;
Yeah, down at the DMV, I've been waiting three hours for car tags.

So I get it my Christian brother, even if it appears I don't engage;
It's just hard to hear it, from a guy who struggles with road rage.

No where is your patience more tested, than on the adoption trail;
Before the Promise land, a wilderness, many times you'll want to bail.

But in my office are scores of pictures, children who've found a home;
Each of them a thousand word sermon, that you will not always roam.

Narrative Poem
Copyright © 2011 Dave Wood


Let's Talk About It:  Waiting it something we have to do every day!  We will never be done with waiting and being patient.  Why is it that we have such a hard time with waiting?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment